- Name: Melissa Cortez
- In position since: September 2008
- Title: Resort Manager.
- Work Location: Tropic Winds RV Resort
- Previous parks you’ve worked at (if applicable) Southern Comfort & Country Sunshine RV Resort
- Favorite hobbies or sport(s): Spending time with family and friends
1. What brought you to Tropic Winds RV Resort?
Before going into the RV industry, for 16 years I worked for a power line construction company as a Regional Business Administration Manager. The regional office closed and gave me the opportunity to change industries. Before becoming the resort manager at Tropic Winds in 2013, I was the resort manager for several years at two other Encore resorts in South Texas – Southern Comfort and Country Sunshine.
2. What’s the most rewarding aspect of being a Park Manager?
There are so many rewarding aspects. First of all, I have a job that allows me the opportunity to be part of a community family. I have the ability to create memories and play a critical role in our customer’s experience. Secondly, I have a phenomenal team. There are not enough words to describe how rewarding it is to have such an awesome group of people to work with.
3. What’s the most challenging aspect of being a Park Manager? How do you overcome these challenges?
The most challenging aspect would have to be time. As a manager, you are pulled in every direction from every aspect of the operation, which makes it difficult to be everywhere for everyone. I’ve learned that you have to do your best to ensure you are producing productive quality time, regardless of how you are spending your time. Prioritizing tasks, time management, and doing your best to stay on task is key to overcome this challenge.
4. How do you help make guests vacations at Tropic Winds RV Resort special?
Whether it’s guest’s first time or they return year after year, we will make sure they feel like family. Plus, it is important for me that every guest understands that they have a direct communication line to me. They can choose any communication method of their choice. It is our mission to ensure all of our guests get the best experience and we are ready to go above and beyond the call to leave our mark.
5. Can you share something you’ve learned from your guests?
Tropic Winds RV Resort is an aged qualified community and I’ve learned from our residents that age is just a number. You are as young as you want to be. Our residents love life, are extremely active and are full of energy. They don’t let age stop them.
6. What’s special about Tropic Winds?
Tropic Winds RV Resort is special because it is one of the newest resorts in South Texas; built in 1997. Therefore this property has some of the largest RV sites and paved streets that you will find in South Texas. Plus, the moment you arrive you are greeted like family into our beautiful resort.
7. Can you use 3 words to describe your RV park to someone who is considering visiting
Friendly, Clean, Fun
8. What area attractions or entertainment do you recommend guests experience while at Tropic Winds RV Resort?
In South Texas there are attractions for many interests. We have the ocean shores of South Padre Island within 45 minutes. Due to the large range of birds that migrate to South Texas, one of the largest birding festivals in the country is held here in Harlingen. There is plenty of history so you may want to visit the Iwo Jima memorial, the amazing museums or a wildlife refuge. South Texas has everything you can possibly imagine within a short distance.
9. What accomplishment at Tropic Winds RV Resort are you most proud of? Why?
I’m most proud of the property being awarded Trip Advisor’s 2016 Certificate of Excellence Award. This award is based on the customer experience and confirms that our team is focused on the mission, vision and values to provide the best customer experience.
10. What does a typical day at Tropic Winds RV Resort look like?
A typical day at Tropic Winds starts off with the best sunrises you’ve ever seen. While you stroll through the resort enjoying the morning breeze, you’ll see that everyone is acknowledged with a friendly smile or wave hello. You will see guests gathered outside their rig/home enjoying their morning coffee. You will hear the paddle hitting the ball during the morning sessions of pickleball or you may hear the excitement coming from the RC track. The buildings are filled with guests enjoying each others company while they participate in daily activities. If you start getting hungry, swing by Windy Café and I’m sure you’ll see something you like or get a sample. After your afternoon nap, come join the fun in the pool and then you are off to the nearest happy hour. The evenings wrap up with gorgeous sunsets and heading to our main hall for dinners or planned entertainment.
11. Can you recall a time when the guests at your property surprised you?
The guests here at Tropic Winds continue to surprise me with their continued acts of kindness. The guests are very supportive of each other and will do what any family member would do for one another.
12. Can you tell us about some of the friendships that have developed between guests at Tropic Winds RV Resort?
The friendships that develop between guests are very special. Since they all live a similar lifestyle, they have a lot in common. They are able to share different experiences they’ve had as retirees and in the RV Lifestyle. Plus, they are now part of the same community family where they will eat, play and have fun together.
13. RV communities look out for each other. Can you share an example of how Tropic Winds RV Resort exemplifies the idea of community?
In South Texas we are very fortunate that there are 10 resorts in close proximity and it is easy for us to exemplify community. For example, if a guest is requesting a specific amenity/activity that I may not offer, we will refer them to our sister resort that will be able to accommodate our guest. Another example would be with our park model rental program. If our rentals are booked we do the same and forward the perspective lead to a sister resort.
14. Why do you think your veteran guests keep coming back to Tropic Winds RV Resort? I believe they keep coming back because it is very affordable to stay in South Texas. Our winter weather is top notch. Plus, they enjoy the feeling of belonging to a community that embraces their return.
15. Do you have any last words or thoughts for your guests?
As you travel throughout the different RV Resorts across our beautiful country, you know firsthand of what sets each one apart. I’d love to personally invite you to come and experience what Tropic Winds RV Resort and South Texas has to offer. We’d love to have you as part of our growing community family.